Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Holy Grail

Everyone talks about the Holy Grail, the timepiece that will end all search for any time piece. The ultimate one that you will buy:

1) when I am rich and successful!
2) when I can tell people I have made it!
3) *insert reason*

At the beginning of my horology journey, I was averaging a watch a month for 6 months. I was buying cheap watches which I could afford easily. The watch of my dreams, my Holy Grail, was to me at that moment unattainable. I simply could not reason paying such a price for my dream watch.

But at the end of the 6 months, I pulled the trigger to get my Holy Grail.

Why did I do so? Because I was "tricked" by forumers telling me that I should not waste money getting cheaper timepieces to satisfy the craving but instead to save up and get the Holy Grail.

That make sense of course! But I have come to realise that once you get your Holy Grail, the next one comes along! And like what I learn in running.. Once you pass a limit say 10km, 5 km seems easy and you'll be aiming to run 15km the next time. Similarly, once you spend 10k on a timepiece, 5k seems cheap and you'll be aiming to spend 15k the next time.

As I read more watch magazines, surf the net and reading forums, my Holy Grail is no longer the Holy Grail but Holy GrailS...